Back to Index
Below is the brief for the Leisure project. This project
was completed with Aoife
Ní Mhóráin, Martin
Heaton and Tiago
Borges da Silva.
Initially, we set about the task of defining what leisure
was and how you got it. (Excerpts from project presentation follow in
What is leisure?
Our definition of leisure is:
Being in the moment.
Our project aims to get people to this state of mind.
How do you get it?
Ways in which people get "into the moment":
- By acting in an extreme fashion- adrenaline sports
or the opposite - meditation
- By acting in a contrasting style to their idea
- By altering the location of motivation, from external
to internal or vice versa.
We made the following observations:
- Singing in the shower
- Why you have to watch a movie that is on TV even
if you have it already - being in the moment.
- Not stepping on the cracks when you walk down
- Watching people play. Dance Dance Revolution.
We are interested in working between socially constructed
What we are trying to achieve:
- Get people into a moment.
- Encourage exploration of space.
- Breaking artificial and destructive concepts of
self - see Gap adverts.
- Create a democratic means of un-organised communication
We hit upon the following area to concentrate our efforts
and research on:
Sound is an effective method for achieving
the goals set out previously.
Music is a universal and familiar form of
expression and communication.
Music's direct emotional impact makes it
useful for our purposes.
And made the following proposals for extra exploration:
- Street based composition
- Zone themed sound
- What kind of sound? And how publically is it communicated?
- Alliances based on taste and nothing else - sound
grouped by emotional impact not prescribed genre.
- Manifestation - portable and personal or location
- Organic evolution of sound into musical structures
rather than the imposition of structures.
Finally, we created a video of our experiments in a space
which we had covered in microphones, tape players and speakers. Please
see stills from the video below.
Finally, an mp3 file
of some of the activity in the space.
||Aoife walking through
||Aoife and Martin in
the main space with microphones.
||Martin surveying our
equipment in the main space.
||Me working on the
stairs between the two spaces. The wire in the still above runs to
the microphone I am using.
||Close work with the
||Martin spitting some
||Aoife in the main
space with two speakers visible, feedback was an interesting feature.
||Tiago on the stairs.
||Tiago on the stairs
selecting his next instrument.
||Our lovely AV man
in the lower space. The wires from the mixer run around in the lower
space and up into the main space. (See picture below).
||Wires bridging the
main and lower spaces.